Initiatives of Change is a diverse, global network committed to building trust across the world’s divides. It works on the principle that changes in people’s motives, attitudes and behavior are not only possible but are the only sure basis on which wider lasting change in society can be brought about. Peaceful Tomorrows member Terry Rockefeller addressed the Caux Initiatives of Change annual conference in Switzerland in 2004.
For more than 70 years Initiatives of Change has brought people of diverse backgrounds and faiths together. It has provided a rallying point for individuals and teams to work for justice, healing and human development, based on personal change starting in their own lives. Current initiatives are aimed at:
- Healing the wounds of history that sustain cycles of revenge, especially where cultures and civilizations meet.
- Strengthening the moral and spiritual dimensions of democracy, challenging selfish interests and corruption.
- Helping individuals and families to counter the climate of blame and selfishness with a culture of care and personal responsibility.
- Strengthening the motivation of care and moral commitment in economic life and thinking, in order to create jobs, correct economic and environmental imbalance, and tackle the root causes of poverty.
- Rebuilding a sense of community and hope in cities and tackling the causes of racial and communal discrimination.
- Forging networks among people from different cultures and faiths based on a shared commitment to work for reconciliation, justice, and peace.
As an international fellowship open to people of all cultures, nationalities, religions and beliefs, Initiatives of Change affirms that:
- In this era of globalization, an individual can be a powerful agent for positive change in society;
- In this age of overabundant information yet appalling human need, listening in silence – for God’s leading, to the inner voice, or to conscience – is an essential source of inner freedom, discernment and direction;
- In this age where pressures on our life and time lead us to live on the surface of our being, change on a personal and global scale starts with a process of deepening self-knowledge;
- In this climate of moral relativism, unchanging values of honesty, purity, unselfishness and love offer a practical framework of principles by which to measure our individual and collective behavior;
- In this time when profits and results are made paramount, genuine care for and by individuals is at the heart of any effort toward lasting change in society;
- In this time of communal tensions, all people should be valued equally: every person has a story to tell and a part to play;
- In this time when cycles of hatred and resentment are perpetuated, acknowledgement of past wrongs, restoration and forgiveness are means by which the human spirit is liberated and the wounds of history are healed;
- In a society that is quick to assign blame, honest conversations and readiness to accept our own responsibility can unite people for action across barriers that have historically divided them;
- In a world marked by divisions and self-interest, communities of dedicated people can unite to serve as models of a more just and compassionate society.
Initiatives of Change is an international movement, active in more than 60 countries and officially established in 44.
Web site: http://www.iofc.org/caux